Monday, June 25, 2012

Golden Investigators and Skin Allergies, June 18, 2012


June 18, 2012

Hey mom,

This transfer has been really interesting.  I was supposed to be with an American (Elder Harris), but an Argentine elder in the MTC gave up and so there was some confusion during the transfer.  I’m with Elder Vale who is from Belém.  He is serving here for about a month because he had to return from Chile to have surgery on his knee.  He will be returning to the mission soon.  We are working a lot with less active members and trying to help the ward make some really big changes.  The bishop works on Sunday, and only comes every once and a while when he isn’t working, his first councilor in from the sticks has a super thick accent and combined with poor reading skills doesn’t really work to direct the meeting.  And the second councilor’s mom is sick and he stays with her in the hospital almost every Sunday.  So without the leaders setting a good example, the ward’s attendance is low and people are starting to let the kids go wild and almost everyone is getting up in the middle of the meeting to leave or talk to others...  Yeah, so we are changing that.  

Good news. We have a ton of golden investigators!!! I’ll send another email latter today because I am going to see a dermatologist today about a possible staph infection!!

Love you!!!

A little later that day….

Thanks, Dad, for the email.  I just got back from Belém.  I saw a dermatologist about this weird rash that I have had for almost two months now.  It’s red and itches.  I thought it was a bacteria but the dermatologist said that it was some sort of allergy and that my clothes (specifically garments)  were not helping because the climate is really hot.  So I’m going to trade soaps and see what happens.  She also prescribed a whole bunch of anti allergy and healing skin creams that turned out to be really expensive.  So I’m not sure if I will buy them or not.  She also said that where I work there are quite a few cases of leprosy!  She recommended that I stay healthy and maybe get a vaccination.  It was interesting. 

We had tons of miracles this week at church.  We had four families that are super excited about church.  They all want to get baptized and stay, and they all want to get married.  We had 9 investigators that are of baptismal age at church!   The only problem is that it will take at least a month to marry each one in the Cartolio (civil).  That stinks.  We are going to have to learn how to work with the Cartolios. 

I’m working hard and love you all!!!

 Ben


No comments:

Post a Comment